Thursday, October 20, 2011

Dutdutan 2011 with Talahib

By Jec Chua

I guess the best perks of being a band member's girlfriend is getting in to wonderful events such as concerts and the like for free. Yes, and add the fact that you have a free access backstage and interact with other bands who are part of the event.

Over a month ago, Dj invited me to join his band in Dutdutan 2011 as they will be one of the bands who will be performing in the event. I asked my boyfriend about the event and he said that this is the yearly convention of the best tattoo artists in the country where in they can showcase their craft for this skin art and also for the tattoo enthusiast to interact with others who shares the same interest (for tattoos) and show off their skin drawings as well.

Ok, sounds interesting. Though I'm not really a fan of such "art", it's quite interesting to attend this event and find out the real score behind the people who are so in with the tattoo stuff and all.

The event was held in the World Trade Center and wow, this event was a hit. People from all walks of life are lining up to buys tickets and enter the venue. I was with Talahib backstage wearing an ID saying that I'm a band member that is obviously not aligned with how I look like and I totally feel that I was an outcast in the crowd of people having some fancy drawings all over their bodies. Walking around the avenue amazed me. I can't even draw a nice portrait of our house in paper yet the people who are in the booths are so awesome etching some wonderful drawings on the skin of the people who have availed their services.

With Muffet Sta. Maria
One of my college best friend, Melai got her tattoos few years ago, and she told me it was addicting. I still can't relate with the idea that hurting your self is addicting. My boyfriend also have a tattoo on his upper left arms and he wants to get another one.



After scanning the whole area, I went back to where my boyfriend's band is staying and catch them getting ready for their performance. I was on the left side of the stage to take videos of them that day and I think it's a major failure since I have shaky hands which is not good.

Talahib performed 3 songs and for me the last song is the best out of the 3 they did that day. Jones De Vera, one of their members showcased his talent in using "gangsa" and showed his knack for music making the audience connect with the band before they started playing their last song for the day. Here's a video of one of their performance below (Song: On Potok).



 
This band is truly one of a kind. I salute all the members of the band for doing a job well done in all their performances. When I first saw Talahib when Dj invited me to see them perform, I was not really familiar with the type of music they are playing. I'm not good when it comes to music, but when I heard them play during an event in Conspiracy Bar, I told Dj that their band is good. I love their music not because my boyfriend is in that band but because they are really good musicians.




I have a previous post that they are already working on an album that will be released in November. I encourage everyone to try to get a copy of that album and experience the fine Filipino music that has been lost for years since we are already been polluted with the idea that Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga are the only good source of quality songs nowadays. If everyone will just give local musicians a chance to show everyone their piece, I know you will also agree with me in saying that Filipino musicians are better than what the world have off shores.

By the way, Talahib and Kadangyan is playing on the 27th of October at the 70's Bistro Bar in Anonas. If you're interested to see them perform live be there and be ready to be amazed by the talents of these two wonderful bands.

Till the next events readers.

Photo Credits: Muffet Sta. Maria





No comments:

Post a Comment