Last May 15 and 16, I joined my boyfriend Dj and his friends' fun climb at Mt. Pico de Loro in Cavite. I am not really the sporty type, or someone who seeks an outdoor adventure for fun. I dig malls, good food and shopping for entertainment more than fine sceneries at the top of the hills, but I guess, trying to somewhat be a mountaineer even just for a day, is an experience I'll never forget.
ITINERARY FOR MT. PICO DE LORO (Cavite)*
Destination: Mt. Pico De Loro, Cavite Elevation: 664 meters above sea level
Level: Minor Climb, Level I, Easy Jump‐off Point: Ternate, Cavite
Climb Duration: 2 days & 1 night (including travel time from and back to Manila)
Attendees: Jec, Dj, Tem, Debbie, Jevi, Milcah, Bron and Thailand.
Date: May 15 – 16, 2010
DAY 1– SATURDAY
0600 ASSEMBLY AT GUADALUPE
0630 ETD FOR MARAGONDON, CAVITE
0930 ETA MARAGONDON PUBLIC MARKET OR DENR NURSERY TO REGISTER
1000 ETD FOR JUMP‐OFF POINT
1030 ETA TRAILHEAD AT “MANETIC HILL” ALONG TERNATE HIGHWAY
1100 ETA DENR STATION, REGISTER PACKS ON BACK HEAD TO JUMP–OFF.
1130 START TREK TO FIRST NIPA HUT
1230 LUNCH BREAK AT NIPA HUT
1330 RESUME TREK
1600 ETA BASE CAMP
1800 SUNSET, ETA ABC PITCH TENT, REST, LIGHT SNACK.
1900 PREPARE DINNER
2000 DINNER, SOCIALS
2200 LIGHTS OUT
DAY 2– SUNDAY
0600 WAKE UP CALL, BREAKFAST
0800 STAR TREK TOWARDS NIPA HUT
1030 ETA NIPA HUT
1200 ETA TRAILHEAD AT “MAGNETIC HILL”
1230 ETA MARAGONDON PUBLIC MARKET, LUNCH, WASH UP
1600 ETA MANILA
WHAT TO BRING:
‐ Camping eqpt. (Tent, sleeping gear, stove and cook set)
‐ Clothes
‐ Packed lunch, food/snacks (meals to be prepared/cooked will be for dinner, breakfast, and lunch)
‐ Min. 3L water per person for cooking and drinking
‐ Lights (preferably headlamp and lantern) ‐ Appropriate footwear
‐ Personal effects: medicines, toiletries, off‐lotion, sun block ‐ Optional: gloves, knee pads, camera (preferable)
‐Trash bag ‐ PMA (Positive Mental Attitude)
Jec, the mountaineer wannabe
Things would have been perfect if I wasn’t carrying 8 Kilos of weight at my back, having to carry a fully packed huge back-pack. It was really a miracle that I have put everything that I need for the climb inside that bag, including the 3 litters of drinking water we are obliged to bring and the most important among all the things I'm carrying that day. There's no water source at the top, so we badly need that water to cook our food, and to quench our thirsts.
The Trek
Long ours of walk all the way to the top brought so much agony to my legs and more specially to my back, and also add the scourging heat of the sun to the sufferings I need to endure that day just to get to the peak, and camp. Steep, rocky and maze like trails welcomed us at Pico de Loro. By just looking at it, I keep asking my self, if it's really possible for a human being to pass that hell like path? Good thing, even without proper physical preparation for the climb I managed to maintain composed and strong until the end despite being exhausted. I guess maybe, that "having a positive mental attitude" to bring on the climb reminder is the best weapon any one brought that day.

Reaching the Camp feels like heaven! God! I almost kissed the ground, when we finally sat down and enjoy the view at the top of the mountain. After that glorious picturesque moment of celebration for making it, we started setting up the camp and cooked dinner. After dinner, we all gathered to drink a little and chat, and after a short while, we went straight to sleep to charge our bodies for a long walk waiting for us going down tomorrow.


Day2
After reaching the summit, we packed up and cleared the area and started our trek going down. We encountered a little mishap by getting lost in the mountain, but we still managed to find our way back and reached the ground before sunset. We also went to a beach near the area to clean up, and also to give our selves a little reward for a successful climb.

At the end, I'm just glad that we all made it back to our normal lives, in one-piece!
Photo credits: Ronald Malate



Nice one Jec!..more moutaineering experience coming your way!..keep safe!
ReplyDeleteWishing for more climbing stories to come. As you have welcomed me to the world of blogging, I welcome you to the world of mountaineering. Climb high!
ReplyDelete