Sunday, February 28, 2010

This House believes that...

By Jec Chua

...Once a DEBATER, always a debater.

I, together with my former debate buddies, Madey, Eco, Jhunnie and Leah, "the COMPAR legends" as Lenard, our used to be novice during our debate years would call us, once again proven that the blood of a VERBAL COMBATANT, still runs in our body. The 4th Annual UST  Commerce Exchange Cup (Asian Parliament Inter-Org Competition) was dominated by the overflowing debate energies of the alumni invited to see the tradition they started way back 2007.

The COMPAR Legends
It was really a great opportunity for all of us, COMPAR people (COMPAR, is the debate and public speaking organization we founded in UST College of Commerce) to somehow see each other again and test if we still have the magic we used to have, during our golden days in the debate arena.

I haven't been debating for years! And I really miss it a lot.

Back to UST

I was very nostalgic seeing my beloved UST again! I miss the feeling of walking around our campus in my uniform and surviving the roller coaster life of being a student. (The last time I went there was when my cousin Chia-er and I claimed our yearbooks.) I may not be in uniform again, and everything seemed a little bit different compared to the UST I stored in my memory, but walking to the same ground that used to be my sanctuary for four years, is like feeling the warmth of the morning sun evry time we wake up, it's always extra special.
The Debate event:
Surprisingly we played SWING for the inter-org! One team walked out of the competition. We are actually very nervous to hit the podium once again and finish 7 minutes speeches (that 7 minutes felt like forever!), given no preparatory time to set things up for the debate and prepare the back bone of our arguments! I was even shocked that we are playing for the government side and I have to be in front ASAP to set everything up, being the prime minister of the house. I almost died seeing how messy I set the debate up! I can't even look at the eyes of the chair adjudicator for I know that I'm not making any sense at all. What can i do? the motion is so OVER for me (nose bleed!) , who had no training for years and is not even updated with current events!

The motion: This House believes the 1st World countries should not commit to Carbon dioxide reduction w/out the consent of the 3rd World countries.

PM: Jec Chua, DPM: Lenard Sumalde, Whip: Madey Delgado, The swing team
*Major bummer! The hell to the one who vetoed for the motion! ahahahaha

Good thing we won! Thanks to mother jhunnie's "teacher" like rebuttals, and Lenard's "semi-baked",  almost there planks, according to the adj. Fine, I messed up. It's a below average debate, but we won! haha I give two thumbs up to my team mates for saving my ass! You two gave me salvation!

Round 2: This House would ban digital enhancements on Magazines and Billboards.

Super Poke us! Madey whipped for the team. It felt like heaven hearing that he'll be my team mate again. Madey is a debate god for me, and having him in the team gives me the comfort of "no matter how trashy we may have started the debate, we will win, and you'll know it, once he hit the podium and start laying things down."

We kinda set up the debate good. So-so. At least we had a semi-clear set up. Of course we won again! Poor kids, it was really unfair for them to engage in a debate with the veterans! haha
The current COMPAR officers
After the event we conducted a "PEP TALK" session with the COMPARistas to inspire them, then we dine at the SR Thai Cuisine at V. Con (It was our first time there! akalain nio!) and I super thought the price in that place was not affordable that's why I never attempted having my lunch there, but that night we discovered we thought wrong! So for those guys hanging around in V.Con and curious what's in that restaurant, go in! Explore the wonders of cheap Thai food! it's worth your time.

This day was fun! It's a nice experience. Something worth remembering. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment