Monday, August 23, 2010

Grand Palace - Bangkok, Thailand

by Ruru Pilapil

Lost and Found...Grand Palace! :lol:

My second day at Bangkok includes touring around the Grand Palace. I woke up at 6:00 in the morning, took a shower, grabbed some bread for breakfast then off to Grand Palace at around 7:00am. I didn't avail any tour for this, so its just a matter of having trust on my research papers and to my ever reliable Bangkok Map. :-)

Went to Nana BTS Skytrain Station bound to Mo Chit. According to the map, I have to disembark at Saphan Taksin station, which is 9 station away from Nana. And since Saphan Takin is on the Silom Line, I have to disembark at Siam station (interchange Silom and Sukhumvit Line) then ride another train going to Saphan Taksin.

I didn't had a hard time figuring this out, for everything is found on the map. I think I already mastered the train routes, and can ride it without even looking at the map. Yabang! :-P

From Nana station, I disembark at Siam station and took the Silom Line going to Saphan Taksin. I'm amazed on how disciplined Thais are, they wait for passengers to alight first before entering the train. They even fall in line while waiting for the train to come. I hope Filipinos can be like this too, specially on our ever spacious MRT train. 8-O

At last, Saphan Taksin! From Saphan Taksin station, I have to ride a ferry going to the Grand Palace. Just right beside the station you can find the Chao Phraya express which will tour you around the Chao Phraya River on your way to the Grand Palace.


*heart beat*

According to my papers, from Saphan Taksin, I have to disembark at Maharaj Pier. And from Maharaj Pier its just a walk away going to the Grand Palace. With too much excitement and taking pictures on the ferry, enjoying the very busy view of the Chao Phraya river, I accidentally overlooked Maharaj Pier and passed it without even noticing it. Hahahaha!

I'm lost. It was just a funny experience! :lol: I found myself on the 22nd pier - Bang Po pier, super far from Maharaj with a province like feeling. Hahaha. Thank God there are some locals that I can talk to and can be asked for directions.


And lets look on the brighter side, I get to see Rama VIII bridge on my way back to Tha Chang pier (pier closest to the Grand Palace). 8-)


*clap clap*

The Grand Palace

From Tha Chang Pier, you can almost see the white walls of the Grand Palace. It can be easily found for most of the passengers disembarking from Tha Chang pier are tourists visiting the Grand Palace (still can't believe I didn't notice this on my first ride of the ferry...lol). :lol:


Its a Saturday, so expect the Grand Palace to be a bit jam packed! First, I went to the ticket booth and bought a ticket. Ticket costs 350 baht. :-D

Here are some pics I took inside the Grand Palace.




Temple of the Emerald Buddha



I wasn't able to take pictures of the Emerald Buddha, taking pictures inside the temple is prohibited. But I was astonished on the interiors of the temple, I don't know if its made of pure gold or just gold plated, everything just seemss to be gold with the Emerald Buddha on top of it all.


Shoes or slippers are also not allowed inside.




It took me almost 3 hours to roam inside the Grand Palace, I'm amazed on the architecture and how Thais give importance to this wonderful tourist spot. Now I understand why tourists all over the world wanted to see this beautiful palace! Heaven! :-D


Walang basagan ng trip. Nagpapicture ako kay Manong Guard, bakit ba? Lol. :lol:

No comments:

Post a Comment