by Jec Chua
I am just an ordinary person, who would ordinarily feel sad, and would normally cry a little knowing that an important figure, -an icon of our well fought history, just like Cory Aquino pass away. The country have cried a river of tears because of grief for she is really a great loss for each and everyone of us. This reminded me of the saying that we'll never really going to miss the water until it's gone. I never really cared for Cory before, I even change channels when I see her being interviewed, expressing her thoughts on the "chaotic world" of Philippine politics, for me she is just another popular person. But after these days of national mourning for her death, made me realized a lot of things, beyond the sphere of Cory Aquino's concept, but the sphere that encompasses her life, her real life, just like mine and all of us, ordinary, typical and very normal.
I was really moved by Kris Aquino's statement:
"So I said, ‘Now you want to honor my mom? When you had taken away what was due her as a former President,’" she said in Filipino.
"This matter was already carefully explained to me. I’m just sharing this so that Noy would never have to be asked about this. Mel and Cris are like family to us. [They cried] at my mom’s bedside with us. They accompanied my mom in all her medical checkups and operation. My mom told Ate (Ballsy Aquino-Cruz) to make sure that they are taken care of," she added.
"MalacaƱang doesn’t have to give honor to my mom because the honor comes from the country," Kris said of her family’s decision to turn down the government’s offer.“MalacaƱang doesn’t have to give honor to my mom because the honor comes from the country,” Kris said of her family’s decision to turn down the government’s offer.
During the two-hour program, Kris also expressed her gratitude to the people who helped her family through the ordeal, including former President Joseph Estrada, who had visited Aquino on July 29 at Makati Medical Center but had kept quiet about it.
“Quietly, [Estrada] had been so good to mom … When mom needed a friend, he was a friend to her,” she said.
Aquino was at the forefront of Estrada’s ouster in 2001. She was among those who led the people during the four-day revolt that peacefully overthrew Estrada on Jan. 20 that year.
“Despite this, he reached out to her. My respect for him grew because of this,” Kris said.
She also expressed gratitude to the family of the late strongman Ferdinand Marcos, who was unseated by an Aquino-led nonviolent Edsa People Power Revolution in 1986, for offering prayers for her mother.
“I never thought the time would come [that I would say this], but thank you to the Marcoses for really praying for mom,” she said.
Realizations:
We wil know who our TRUE FRIENDS are, during the times when everything seemed to be at its lowest, yet they stay and supports you all the way.
I really admire Jospeh Estrada, ever since, he was really my president. A lot of people who'll get to read this may raise their eyebrows and smudge a snobbish act straight to my face, but who cares? I will always be proud to be one of his supporter and a follower of his advocacy. I always know he was a good person. And I'll go for someone who has a kind heart than somebody who have tons of diplomas and medals dragged along with her name yet, has proven nothing. Erap, silently has become a friend to Cory -the time she needed a friend the most, despite all the bad things had happened in the past between the two of them, their friendship stood still seeing the positive aspect of the relationship they have had. Just like in our ordinary lives, the true test of friendship is best reflected on scenarios analogous to what I have just narrated.
And to the Marcos family, the sincerity was felt by all of those who have seen your effort extending your hands to the Aquino family (The Marcoses just gained my highest respect for that act..) And infairness to Cory's family they reciprocated everything fairly and sincerely with gratitude.
Cory Aquino has always been used as an instrument of reconciliation, from EDSA People Power 1, and until her last day, being the best medium to show each and everyone of us that forgiveness, love and sincerity comes hand in hand in creating a peaceful and beautifully lived life.
No comments:
Post a Comment